Lielsalaca Lutheran Church

The altar of the church currently houses an oil painting "The Ascension of Christ" by the Limbaži pharmacist K. Gelhar, which was placed on the altar in 1847. The pulpit and some of the benches date from the second half of the 18th century.
The 1668 visitation notes that the church in Lielsalaca is a wooden building with a partial roof and a small tower, and is in good use. Time had its way and as the years passed, the church suffered a lot of wear and tear, even in winter the wind blew snow inside.
The old wooden church was so ruined that it was necessary to think about rebuilding it, but because of limited funds and to avoid the difficulties that a government hostile to us places in front of all foreign churches, it was decided: not to build a new church, but to repair the old one, i.e. first to leave the roof of the church and then to rip out the wooden walls and build them from the very foundations in stone. Work began in the spring of 1855 and by November of that year services could be held inside the new walls.

In 2007, Lielsalaca Lutheran Church celebrated its 230th anniversary.
Baznīcas iela 2a, Salacgrīva
lat: 57.755154; lon: 24.362686

Alley of fame

On 16 July 2016, the " Alley of Fame" was opened on the promenade. The idea was conceived by Dagnis Straubergs. In the alley, you will find 24 bronze palm prints of famous people who have visited our city. read more ››

Salaca River

The fifth largest river in Latvia, it flows from Lake Burtnieki and is 94.4 km long. The Salaca River is the foundation of the Salaca Valley Nature Park, one of the most picturesque rivers in Latvia with outstanding natural values. read more ››

Our Lady of Refuge Orthodox church in Salacgrīva

Address: Pērnavas iela 12, Salacgrīva
Phone:+371 29168461
Built in 1873, its architect is R. Pflūgs, who is also the author of the Cathedral of the Nativity of Christ or the Orthodox Cathedral in Rīga. read more ››

Salacgrīva Promenade

The Salaca promenade was created to protect the right bank of the Salaca river from erosion. read more ››

Ceramic sculpture "The Mover"

On the occasion of the 80th anniversary of Salacgrīva, a fire sculpture was built and burnt, which has been a landmark for Salacgrīvians and tourists ever since. It was created by artist Imants Klīdzējs. read more ››
Sign up for newsletter

© 2009-2024 Limbaži TIC. All rights reserved. »