Ainaži pier is a landmark of the 20th century. It is located at the border between Latvia and Estonia.
The main purpose of the pier was to build a narrow-gauge railway branch from Ainaži station to the breakwater, to make it easier to bring goods to shore and transport them by ship. The construction of the weir started in 1912, but was interrupted by the First World War, during which the port of Ainaži, as a strategically important facility, suffered heavily. After the war, the harbour and the pier were rebuilt, but unfortunately the former bustle did not return, as 80% of the sailing ships were lost during the war. After the Second World War, the port of Ainaži was not rebuilt. Today, a wooden walkway leads to the 596 m long pier, with the nature reserve "Randu pļavas" on both sides.
lat: 57.876171; lon: 24.350639
The lighthouse is located on the shore by the old pier, built in 1925. There used to be a lighthouse fire at the top of the iron frame, but today it is no longer working. read more ››
| Address:||Valdemāra iela, Ainaži|
It is quite common to cross the Latvian-Estonian border near Ainaži. For some good drivers, it passes by without even noticing, just see how the road signs change from Latvian into another language. But have you ever crossed this border by the old Ainaži road, going straight through the centre of Ainaži, which suddenly turns into a country road on the west coast of Estonia? read more ››
| Address:||Valdemāra iela 35A, Ainaži|
In Ainaži there were once three lighthouses, but nowadays only the third one remains, which still works and shows the way to the sailors. read more ››
The lighthouse used to be on a wave breaker - it was built in 1926. The tower was 6.4 metres high and the height of the light was 8.1 metres above sea level. read more ››
| Address:||Parka iela 12a, Ainaži|
The memorial stone to Jānis Asars was unveiled on 7 July 2006 at the 80th anniversary event of the town of Ainaži. read more ››